In many cases, it’s easy and relatively cost-effective to repair damaged auto glass. Most chips and small cracks can be easily fixed with the assistance of a qualified repair technician. Some cracks, however, can spread quickly. Others may be located at a critical section of your windshield, where they might impair visibility. If you’re experiencing trouble with your auto glass in Oklahoma City, OK, you may be wondering whether it would be more effective for you to invest in repair or replacement services.
There are several factors that your auto glass technician will look at and consider when it comes to determining whether or not your windshield can be repaired rather than replaced. The best course of action for most auto owners when they notice a suspiciously large or nasty-looking crack is to call an auto glass expert and ask for their professional advice.
Here are just some of the factors that need to be considered when determining whether you need to repair or replace your car’s windshield:
- Size of the crack or chip: The size of the chip or crack in your windshield will go a long way toward determining whether or not you should repair or replace it. While the solution varies depending on the type of windshield on your vehicle and the tools used by the repair team, generally speaking, cracks that are longer than a dollar bill necessitate replacement.
- Positioning: The positioning of the crack will also play a role in whether or not repair is appropriate. When windshield cracks and chips are repaired, they can slightly distort the field of vision. This means that cracks right at eye level on the driver’s side of the car will likely require a windshield replacement.
- Depth: If the crack penetrates more than halfway through the depth of the windshield, you should plan on replacing it. This is usually caused by high-velocity impacts, or cracks that aren’t treated as soon as they’re noticed.
- Type of glass: You should repair your windshield if it’s made from tempered glass. Generally, only laminated windshields are suitable for repair. Even small cracks and chips on tempered glass windshields will need to be replaced. Laminated glass is layered, whereas tempered glass is a single sheet.
- Structural concerns: If you have any concerns about the way that the crack may impact your windshield’s resilience in the event of a rollover crash, you may want to opt for replacement. Cracks that occur along the edges of the glass are likely to seriously compromise its strength in the event of a rollover crash or head-on impact.
Eagle 1 Autoglass is a full-service company specializing in comprehensive repair and replacement services for auto glass in Oklahoma City, OK. Whether you’re facing a small chip or a large crack, we possess the tools, knowledge and expertise to provide you with the auto glass services you require. Reach out to one of our friendly representatives today to learn more about ways that we can help you meet your auto glass needs.
Categorised in: Auto Glass
This post was written by Writer